[PAO] Efficacy of Specific Social Media Platforms

Lt Col Paul Cianciolo pa at natcapwg.cap.gov
Sun Mar 1 15:15:51 CST 2015

I also agree that the specific platform depends on the message you are
trying to get out. Not every type of social media will be relevant to CAP.
And Facebook and Twitter are still very relevant to CAP. A more focused
example is that Facebook is good for retention of current members based on
the demographics of who are fans are. Twitter is more relevant to real-time
events like updates during a SAR mission.

NHQ will be putting out a volunteer guide soon about using social media for
CAP. *The focus there will be on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
for the member (not unit).* These were chosen as the primary focus areas
from an independent marketing firm hired by CAP.

We know there is a lot more out there, but we need to start focusing
efforts on a select few and make sure they are done right. *No one
should overextend themselves into too many social media platforms. *This is
how things get out of hand, forgotten about, and abused.

For those interested, I keep an up-to-date list of good social media
articles that would benefit PAOs at: https://delicious.com/elementdc

PAOs at any level may also contact me directly with social media issues.
NHQ recently created the "marketing and social media manager" position so
that we can better leverage the social media resources being used. Change
is a slow process and must be backed up with facts, so please be patient as
CAP works to improve social media across the entire organization.

Paul

[image: cid:9A18312A-A445-4805-8F77-524A881DDED9]

*Lt Col Paul Cianciolo, CAP*National Marketing & Social Media Manager
National Capital Wing Public Affairs Officer

(C) 301-751-2011
(O) 202-267-1080 (@FAA HQ)

*Civil Air Patrol*

*Air Force Auxiliary*