[PAO] Did we change our logo again?

DOUGLAS E. JESSMER, Lt Col, CAP CAP/PM djessmer at cap.gov
Sun Nov 9 13:39:15 CST 2014

____________

NOTE (written after the message was written and probably not self-edited enough): This is just me speaking for myself, and not for HQ CAP nor in any official capacity whatsoever. Take this email as just office talk between colleagues.

I can't speak to where this email signature message came from, but while I was still the national marketing officer, I was working on parts of CAP's branding, trying to simplify it for field use and elaborate upon it where we can and would use it. It had been a work in progress, and I'm awaiting further marching orders.

Has the logo changed? Not according to the 900-2, but as we know, regulation many times tends to follow and not lead. The triangle-thing-that-replaced-the-loathed-triangle-thing doesn't appear to have a long shelf life. My concern has/had been with the overall branding, which can't be a piecemeal thing. HQ CAP contracted in 2013 with an advertising/branding agency to come up with a solution, and it's one that only went as far as the money could take it. Where it went from there was up to the national staff, including (at that time) me.

The mark you saw in the example was also designed with a second, gray line underneath that said "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary," and you may see that around. As for including that identifier in our email messages, I don't see where that's a problem. We ARE the Air Force's auxiliary, small A all the time and capital A when we're on funded missions. Aux-on, aux-off isn't something that this impacts.

That CAP keeps fussing with signature blocks is endemic of another issue, one that's at national and one that's in the field — (sorry, CRITICISM ALERT!) at national, reinventing the wheel, and in the field, misidentification by people who want to over-militarize themselves and say we're the "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" and not Civil Air Patrol (or who insist on putting the status line above the legal name of CAP), or people who just can't seem to identify themselves professionally to begin with. We all know people like those. We can influence people in the field, and should, since they're the public face of CAP and can make or break us to potential constituencies. When someone acts like a poser, we lose credibility, and that's a big part of the brand.

While I'm happy to say I was involved in this, including designing and redesigning the marks you've seen recently, the job is a big one and, if done right, a sweeping one. My best advice is to stay tuned.

DOUGLAS E. JESSMER, Lt Col, CAP

COM: (727) 480-9606
Clearwater, Fla.

CAUTION: This e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. Do not disseminate this message without the sender's approval. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.