[PAO] Reporting Emotional Distress on Social Media

Cianciolo, Lt Col, Paul paul.cianciolo at natcapwg.cap.gov
Wed Aug 20 16:39:47 CDT 2014

PAOs & Chaplains,

The topic of what to do if someone shows signs of emotional distress or
suicide when engaging on your agency on social media recently came up in
some federal agency discussions. I did not know this, but both Facebook and
Twitter have a reporting feature for you, as the admin, to get that person
help. More info below.

*The following information is from the “Building a Social Media presence
> for Suicide Prevention” presentation at the American Association of
> Suicidology 2014 Conference by Linda Langford, Ashley Womble, and Anna
> Pope.  Point of contact for this presentation is Ashley Womble –
> awomble at mhaofnyc.org <awomble at mhaofnyc.org>*
>
> *Sample Messages for users in crisis:*
>
> “If you feel that life is not worth living, please call the National
> Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).  The call is free and
> confidential, and crisis workers are there 24/7 to assist you”
>
> “Thank you for reaching out and caring about your suicidal friend.  Feel
> free to call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK
> (8255) yourself so that you can find out what resources are available in
> your area.  Most importantly, please encourage your friend to call us at
> 1-800-273-TALK (8255).“
>
> *Lifeline is Here to help:*
>

>    - The LifeLine works with the safety teams of all major platforms to
>    ensure there are procedures in place to assist any individual expressing
>    suicidal ideation and/or intent
>    - The “gold standard” is to allow users to *report suicidal content to
>    the safety team of a social networking site.  *Then, the safety team
>    will send an email encouraging them to call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or click
>    on a link that will begin a chat session with a LifeLine crisis worker
>    - Facebook offers chat support to users in crisis
>
> *Facebook and LifeLine Partnership*
>
>    - People can report suicidal content to Facebook using the Report
>    links found throughout the site
>    - Once Facebook’s User Operations Team receives a report these are
>    verified (24/7) and then the user is provided with link to IM chat room.
>
> *Some Additional Resources:*
>
> *Twitter support page*
>
> https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170313-dealing-with-self-harm-and-suicide#
>
> Know the Signs - How to Use Social Media for Suicide Prevention: User Guide
>
> http://eiconline.org/teamup/wp-content/files/13-CALM-0106-Socialmedia_Guide_FNL.pdf

v/r
--

*PAUL S. CIANCIOLO, Lt Col, CAPPublic Affairs OfficerNational Capital Wing*

Cell: 301-751-2011 <http://www.NatCapWing.org>
 Work: 202-385-9599 (@FAA)

--

Civil Air Patrol National Capital Wing