[PAO] [Bulk] Re: The American Red Cross Versus Civil Air Patrol Public Relations

lockit3 lockit3 at att.net
Sun Oct 4 11:17:27 CDT 2015

Gentleman,

I have watched the banter since Ken's initial email. I was going to simply
watch the exchange and try to learn from the educational points made during
the discussion. However, with the exception of a very few valuable insights
into how another organization has set up their PA program, all I am really
seeing is the equivalent of a bunch of kids on the playground who got
embarrassed and now have to save face by being the bigger bully.

To begin with, Ken obviously got his feelings hurt when he did not get the
rating he thought he should have gotten on his SUI. He took it personally
because he put a lot of work and time into preparation. From his initial
contact, I know he got less than satisfactory because he did not use the 4
step planning process. Something he either was not aware of, or did not know
where to find. Then he went on to state what he saw as short comings to the
P.A. program. Now I do not know whether he resigned because of what he saw
as a lack of support, or because of the attitude of the S.U.I. team. (not
all of them have P.R. skills, nor do they all see their role as one of
mentorship.) In any case because of this he resigned, something I personally
would not have done, but everyone handles things differently.

Having said all of this, we should probably take the personalities out of
this and move this onto the "Official" national Facebook group. As, I feel
we could ALL benefit from the discussion and the solutions that would
inevitably come from it. Including the all-knowing and infallible superiors
who have seen fit to reply back to Ken.

As fodder to start that discussion, I will offer this, the attitude that
Ken's ignorance of resources available to him is all his fault, shows that
because it is in CAP P201 we think it happens that way. The Pamphlet states
that we will serve under a mentor for 6 months, presumably to learn about
such things and what resources are available and where they are located. I
assure you this does not happen at least as often as it does. When I joined
Civil Air Patrol, there was no P.A. O. assigned in my squadron and had not
been for quite some time.  Further, I had no one at the group level to help.
Had I been hit with an S.U.I. shortly after taking the position, it would
have been ugly.

So would it be possible for everyone who is supposed to be mentors here to
quit getting upset because a shortcoming may have been pointed out and start
acting like mentors instead.

Thank you,

Wayne Hooks
Florida Wing