[PAO] Efficacy of Specific Social Media Platforms

Jeff Carlson, Grp 5 HQ jcarlson at flwg.us
Sun Mar 1 13:32:13 CST 2015

It is important to select a target audience when crafting a message, this helps to determine which communication channel you will use to deliver the message.  Add them to your channel mix if you have stakeholders that use Instagram and Snapchat as one of their primary channels to receive information.

Fifty years ago, the notion of the medium is the message became mainstream. The same words have a different impact whether delivered by email, a hand-written note, or a personal phone call.  Having a variety of options in the channel mix can be helpful.

There is a wide range of technology users from the innovators and early-adopters, to the early and late majority, to the laggards.  50% of technology users are in the late majority and laggard stages of the innovation adoption lifecycle, while many cadets could likely be in the early stages of the lifecycle.  This is where knowing your audience becomes important.

I find it challenging to maintain multiple social media channels, more channels requires more resources to keep content fresh.  My primary Internet-based channels are web site, Facebook and Twitter.  I do have a Google+, Instagram, YouTube, Flickr and Vine accounts that get updated less frequently.

The web site is important. It can be used to publish your own content, then use hyperlinks on the various social media channels to drive traffic back to your web site.  This way , you are not dependent on traditional media to pick up your story.

Why go through all the effort if your message is a dud? The question ultimately comes down to “is your content of interest to the audience you targeted?”  Multimedia content such as images, graphics, video is the dominant trend.  How effective is your message?  Did you select a target, frame the information in a context that appeals to your audience, and then use an appropriate channel to deliver it?

CAP signature

JEFFREY P CARLSON, Maj, CAP

Public Affairs Officer

Group 5 Headquarters

Florida Wing | Civil Air Patrol

(C) 941.228.4254

 <mailto:jcarlson at flwg.us> email    <http://group5.flwg.us/fl370.aspx> www    <https://www.facebook.com/Group5.FLWG.CAP?ref=hl> facebook    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/group5_flwg/> flickr    <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJyuP9azB0MfI-5Dtcfv-0A> youtube   <http://twitter.com/SERFL370> twitter