[PAO] [Bulk] FW: New CAPP 201 - Public Affairs Officer Specialty Track

Lt Col Hertel hertelpcap at att.net
Sun Aug 10 17:19:18 CDT 2014

I've been saying for years, PAOs and PIOs should be able to attend DINFOS.

I do not believe all PAOs can or should be PIOs. I stand by that. It is a specialized function. I have said for many, many years all PIOs should be PAOs, as the generalities of Public Affairs apply to both. The CAP PIO absolutely needs an elevated level of training in order to liaison with other agency PIOs, the PAO does not need that same level of training.

I agree PIOs should not ever have the goal of being on camera or in the newspaper, but the fact is they should always be prepared to do so. I have yet to work with an IC who wanted to conduct the interview (I have come across a few pilots who are not camera shy!) They have always requested I perform that function. I try to get cadets on camera and in the paper as often as possible, a young person's face is worth, well, you know. On mission, the PIO is one of two points of contact, and most likely the first person the press is going to speak with. If we present someone who is shipshod in uniform, grammar, speaking ability, etc...the information gathering is going to end right there. That is what I was referring to about appearance, etc... We have to look and sound the part even if we are not ultimately the actual part.

Jaimie Henson, Maj.
Public Affairs Officer
Public Information Officer
Kentucky Wing