[PAO] New CAPP 201 - Public Affairs Officer Specialty Track

Bruce Kipp paa.sdwg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 10:48:58 CDT 2014

I've just had a chance to go over the new specialty track pamphlet CAPP 201
- Public Affairs Officer.  I am dismayed by the number of new roadblocks
placed in our way.

First, I think it is just flat wrong to force a PAO to become an ES PIO
whether they want to or not in order to advance in the specialty track.
IMHO that should be up to the individual to decide.

Second, from my perspective the worst roadblock is the requirement to take
FEMA Course E-388 (Advanced PIO) in order to obtain "Master" rating. The
problem is that E-388 is classroom taught and is only taught at the ES
Institute in Emmitsburg, PA. In addition, the prerequisite for E-388 is
G-290 (PIO Basic). That classroom course is taught at state level. However,
G-290 hasn't been taught in South Dakota for the past several years and
their isn't another iteration scheduled until August 2015! The requirement
for G-290 is for "Senior" level, something I already am. So the new CAPP
201 requires I go backwards in order to advance since you can't take E-388
unless you have had G-290.

I am retired and live on a pension. The transportation, lodging and meal
costs involved in traipsing across my state and across my nation in order
to check off the boxes to rise in the specialty track levels is
prohibitive. In addition, I have medial conditions which make such travel
and a lengthy duration away from home difficult.

Lest you think that I am just a whiner, I have been Wing PAO of the Year in
two different wings twice in the past three years. I have also been Region
PAO of the Year twice in two different regions in the past three years and
nominated for the national Bud Payton public affairs award twice in three
years. So, I'd say that I'm doing a pretty good job as a PAO. and yes, I am
also a CAP ES PIO.

What is especially galling is that I had completed all the requirements for
"Master" level under the old CAPP 201 except for having two consecutive
years in my position as PAO. I was within 4 months of meeting that goal. I
moved from MTWG to SDWG in 2012 and there was a few months gap between my
resigning as PAO in MTWG and becoming PAO in SDWG.  I asked NHQ/PA about it
and was told there is no grandfathering. They have changed the rules for
the specialty track without grandfathering those of us who were already
progressing in the track. IMHO, those of us already progressing in the PAO
track should have been grandfathered and those just entering the specialty
track would come under the new CAPP 201.

I had anticipated achieving "Master" level in November and, at the same
time, completing Level IV. Now, It looks like it will be years, if ever,
before I will be able to advance in the PAO specialty track and in the
professional development program.

^
*Bruce Kipp, Major, CAP*

*Public Affairs Officer*