[PAO] September Disaster Preparedness Month

Arthur Woodgate awoodgate at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 8 08:14:23 CDT 2013

Karen,

Some years ago, in the aftermath of a hurricane and massive evacuation of
Houston, the forward deployment area was moved from San Antonio to Houston
the day after it had left the Houston area, but Houston was unreachable
other than by air. There was no PIO available, and only a relatively
inexperienced PAO did the job. We were able to support that PAO from TXWG
HQ, but it was uphill all the way.This PAO did not choose to be a PIO; it
just fell on that one person because no one else was available. But in some
cases, such as when Katrina hit New Orleans, all communications were down,
and access was disrupted by floods.

The "PIO training issue" is not really a stumbling block. For a PAO to
qualify as a PIO, it is very easy. And all PAOs ought to be prepared for the
day when an emergency makes that PAO the de-facto PIO.

The converse is not easy, though. The CAP ES requirement for PIO
qualification is pitifully sketchy, and a PIO who has done the required ES
tasks (less than a day is all that's needed), will be far less capable than
a PAO with even a technician rating. FEMA provides PIOs with acceptable PAO
training; CAP's PAO training is far better than FEMA's. This is the real
problem, with many PIOs who are not PAOs, and when the emergency strikes,
they can't do as good a job as we can because they don't even know how to
write a good news release.

Regards,

Arthur ~