[PAO] Is The Suggestion Box Open Part 1 & 2?

Ken rfinder1 at charter.net
Sun Sep 27 23:27:57 CDT 2015

I'm answering this in a public forum because you choose to post your
email here to the group.
I'm tired and have to go to work tomorrow, so I will be brief with
comments:

On 9/27/2015 10:55 PM, Lt Col Steven Solomon, National PA Manager wrote:
> Because you haven't posted your last name I can't look in my archives
> to check and see if I've ever met or talked to you before Ken. But
> I don't think I have. Anyway, your name doesn't ring a bell.
COMMENT:  We've never met or talked before.

> Like yourself, I was a Wing PAO, and like yourself a PAO of the year
> and Region PAO OTY (but in two different Regions). When I was a Wing
> PAO I also saw things that I thought  could be better.
COMMENT:  No I have been a squadron level PAO, we have a vacancy at the
wing level but I have no interest whatsoever in applying cause it isn't
worth the hassles.   The wing & region awards were for unit level PAO, I
apologized for that confusion and it was not an attempt to be something
I'm not!!!

> But instead of resigning as a PAO like you did, or posting a dozen
> open-ended bullet points on a forum that is not monitored by NHQ/PA, I
> composed professional, polite and detailed suggestions and sent them
> /up the chain of command /for consideration. Not surprisingly, NHQ
> responded by appointing me chair of a working group that put together
> the first How-to Guide for PAOs (and Arthur Woodgate was a key member
> of that group and has worked tirelessly on follow-up revisions.)
COMMENT:  I think the four step process is a waste of time and needs to
be simplified for squadrons.  There's enough to do just to get news
media coverage.  I'd venture to say many squadron level PAO's have other
duties they also have to perform-- staffing time is available to do the
minimum essentials.   IMHO that "Up the Chain of Command" is basically a
code phrase which means it won't go anywhere.  IF you and your staff
were really interest in change you would take feedback comments any way
you could get it (and I'm sure you are aware of IG inspection results on
the PAO function which shows the recurring issues)   IMHO public affairs
is about results (stories published, TV coverage obtained, and
websites/face book pages being maintained with current activity
information)  not plans in a specific format or even critical evaluation
each year --- Volunteers DO have a choice on what they want to do and
it's being made too difficult for them in the PAO function to be
successful. So I'm voting with my feet to do other things I have an
interest in CAP and out of CAP!

> I was named National PA Team leader by MG Courter, National PAO by MG
> Carr and National PA Manager by MG Vazquez. During this time we've
> eliminated the outdated AFAIDIL course, revised CAPR 190-1 several
> times, instituted a National PAO Academy, revised the PAO Specialty
> Track, produced a Branding Guide and a Style Guide, instituted a
> robust social media program, promoted the Congressional Gold Medal
> ceremony and the Total Force announcement and we're working hard on
> how CAP will publicize our 75th anniversary. And then there are the
> ongoing projects, such as an annual report, Legislative Day, the
> National Conference and countless media requests for information, etc.
> that fall to NHQ/PA to handle.
COMMENT:  Thanks for your continued CAP service!

> All of this is done with a paid staff of three at NHQ/PA and a
> volunteer CAP/PA team of three. Does it sound like we've been slacking
> off?
COMMENT:  Never said anyone was slacking off, just IMHO basically out of
touch with reality at the unit level and sicking the IG to not evaluate
actual "results" of PAO's efforts but just administrative mumble jumbo.

> As I write this reply to your two lists, while you're sitting in the
> comfort and safety of your home, I'm the lead FEMA PIO in Lake County,
> Calif., which the President declared eligible for assistance after the
> horrific Valley Wildfire. I'm working 7 to 7, seven days a
> week. Cellphone coverage, wifi connectivity and passable roads are all
> in short supply. So when I read that you don't like the way I post
> comments on online news stories, I take exception to the cheapshot.
> I'm working my ass off, for my country.
COMMENT:  Oh it was you that posted those canned comments to that sad
story!   BTW I've done my 20 years or so for Uncle Sam also and worked
"my ass off" so please don't lecture to me.

> The bottom line is this. Nobody wants to be handed a list of problems.
> You've got great ideas? Then hand us a list of solutions -- WITH your
> offer to personally take on the project. That's how we make progress.
COMMENT:  IMHO there's an adequate staff at National to
address/correct/modify what I've written in my two emails.

> *Lt Col Steven Solomon, CAP*
>
> National Public Affairs Manager
>
> __

Sincerely,