[PAO] Is The Suggestion Box Open?

Ken rfinder1 at charter.net
Sat Sep 26 14:31:27 CDT 2015

Hello folks:

First by introduction I am a former squadron level PAO (having served
over five years in that role) and had also been selected for Wing PAO
and Region PAO of the year.  I had the best TV media news coverage in
the wing for many years.  I specifically left the PAO volunteer position
because I received a marginal during an SUI and felt the entire process
to evaluate squadron PAO's was flawed and didn't want to spend my time
doing this anymore to just get frustrated (and I can now spend more time
on my new hobby of photography as well as concentrate on CAP radio
communications). BTW currently our region and wing are looking for PAO's
to staff those level functions.

Here's some things I think we need to address and change:

SQUADRON PAO PLANNING SIMPLIFY IT  --  Better than 95% of the units
inspected in my region were written up for not doing the four step
plan.  I didn't have the plan because it is just too time consuming to
do this and the examples given our poor and the measurements are really
impossible to determine; BUT I did have one sheet of paper with our
goals for the year and also maintained a log (in word format) of all PAO
activities with the results (this would include copies of the news
releases, copies of what was printed, and/or website cross links to TV
media video) in electronic format.  This shows simply accomplishment of
the PAO in relation to the goals. Our contingency plan had been
completed BUT the unit commander at the time had forgotten to send it to
wing (but wing had never requested it either) due to some serious family
issues (passing of two immediate family members in a short period of
time ).  Even for the contingency plan, at least one wing has an overall
plan with groups/squadron as annexes.  Our past squadron leadership had
always wanted for wing (we have no groups) to get involved if we had any
negative press, so from my standpoint wing was always going to be
involved.   We need to be much more simple in our planning especially at
the squadron level,  IF we can get external (and of course internal
coverage (website/facebook) for all our activities, personnel's
accomplishments, & general public awareness we have met the goals of the
program and that is what needs to be emphasized in any inspection
report.  Volunteers have limited time that time should be spent
accomplishing the basic mission which is "get the good news out about
CAP locally"!

NATIONAL WEBSITE www.gocivilairpatrol.com NEEDS TO BE CHANGED -- Since
CAP is suppose to be all inclusive regardless of race, age, disability,
ethnic origin, etc.  the current recruiting IMHO website fails to
readily show this.  There a static picture of three young minority
members in CAP flight suit.   I believe in order to meet the non
discrimination requirements we should portray all of our members (old,
disabled, race, ethnic, sex, size, etc)  with perhaps changing pictures
ever 10/15 seconds or so (which should include those three minority
members in flight suits).   My firm belief is recruiting retired older
personnel for many of our volunteer positions might actually work out
better for the organization due to their availability -- If someone can
give us 5 to 10 years of dedicated service I think that's great.
HOWEVER, again a mix of young, old, middle age, various races &
ethnicity, etc should be what we display on our recruiting website, so
there no doubt what we stand for.

PAO SKILLS UPGRADE IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE --  Surely, anything one can
accomplish online as FEMA training and/or participation requirements in
ES exercises/actual missions is a reasonable requirements.  What is
unreasonable is some of the requirements for FEMA courses that require
classroom attendance.  In some states those classes aren't even
available and when available normally are held during the weekdays so
volunteers would have to take vacation from their employment in order to
attend.   BTW offering such a class one time a year at a National
Conference is likely cost prohibitive to many members.

NATIONAL NEEDS TO ASSIST PAO MORE --  As an example the National Staff
should consider preparing theme news release for each month of the year
to aid local PAO in getting coverage.  For example September was
"National Preparedness Month", how many units did media releases with
this theme as far as what CAP as an organization does to prepare?   I'm
sure for every month we could come up with something.

WINGS SUPPORT TO GROUP/SQUADRON PAO'S --  I also think that when a CI is
conducted their needs to be more emphasis of what the wing PAO is doing
to assist the various units and also should be checking to ensure the
wing PAO has gotten the required PAO goals/contingency plans.
Personally I liked the quarterly report that use to be submitted because
it specifically looked at squadron new releases (print, radio, TV) (and
I would now include internal information such as posting to
facebook/squadron web pages) as well as all squadron community
activities.  So wing could readily see if there was an active program at
the unit.

So there it is from my point of view.  So is the suggestion box open or
closed?

BTW thanks to all of the dedicated PAO's who are always trying to get
the good word out on CAP!

Ken