[PAO] Efficacy of Specific Social Media Platforms

Michael Marek, Lt Col, CAP Michael.Marek at sm.capnhq.gov
Sun Mar 1 14:57:10 CST 2015

On 3/1/2015 1:32 PM, Jeff Carlson, Grp 5 HQ wrote:

> It is important to select a target audience when crafting a message,
> this helps to determine which communication channel you will use to
> deliver the message.  Add them to your channel mix if you have
> stakeholders that use Instagram and Snapchat as one of their primary
> channels to receive information.

Very good point.

The question is not "what platform do we like?" but rather "where are
the people I want to talk to?"  Different groups of people may be in
different places.

I would be interested to know who was involved in the conclusion that
"Facebook is ancient and that Twitter is nearly obsolete." Their traffic
figures do not support that, by and large, but it may be true of certain
demographics, particularly young people.

I think that for senior members and average adults, a large percentage
ARE on Facebook and Twitter. But that may not be true of young people.
My college students, for example, feel that there is a lot of "drama" on
Facebook, so while most have Facebook accounts, many do not think of
Facebook as their primary communication channel.  Seniors are more
Facebook oriented than Freshmen. Their alternatives are Tumblr,
Instagram, Yik-Yak, ordinary SMS text messaging, and several others.

So, again, the questions are 1) where are the people I want? and 2) what
are the right messages for the different groups of people using
different social media platforms?  We should NOT be doing "one size fits
all" posts across all of our social media presences.

-Michael-