[PAO] Marketing question

Michael Marek michael at themareks.com
Mon Jun 30 18:28:45 CDT 2014

Paul,

I generally agree with what you are saying in the section I have quoted
below, but in Integrated Marketing and Brand communications, it can be
appropriate for subsections of an organization, or separate "products"
to have their own logos and even slogans, usually being segmented by
being aimed at different audiences.

This is true because in brand communication "one size does not fit all"
and it is often appropriate to "tell the story"in different ways for
different audiences.  But.....

When this is done, it still must reflect the overall organizational
brand promise and positioning.  So the foundation of the brand promise
is the same but we present it and "tell the story" differently for
different audiences.

The example that I give in class when I teach IMC is that for university
marketing, the high school juniors and seniors don't have the same
questions about the school as their parents do, or that alumni do.  We
need to give each group the information most focused to their interests,
because if we send them information they are NOT interested in, they may
tune us out.  This MAY mean different logos, slogans, etc, as long as
they are consistent with the overarching brand promise and positioning.

-Michael-