[PAO] Marketing question

Alice Mansell alice at mansell.com
Mon Jun 30 15:05:21 CDT 2014

Branding?  How about looking at some of the most successful "brands" and
how they have permeated US society and how they were promulgated?

American Red Cross, Boy Scouts, McDonalds, US Marines.  All have a symbol,
a brand as if burned into cow flesh, instantly recognizable.  Some have a
simple saying or a bunch of words triggered by that brand - slogan, motto,
tune with words, whatever.  It took decades for each organization to make
the visuals to ingrain their message of "We exist and here's what we do."

For example, Norman Rockwell's series of Boy Scout paintings pop into my
mind and that triggers memories of the Scout fleur-de-lis pins.
http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Marketing/Downloads/CurrentLogos.aspx

Red Cross annual donation appeals with new posters plastered all over and
little metal pins for donors during the 1st half of the 20th Century.
http://www.redcross.org/about-us/media-resources/logo/brand-standards

I still run into pilots unfamiliar with the CAP propeller and triangle much
less our 3 missions chartered by Congress.  Why not just focus on how to
get our triangle brand and 3 missions out in a consistent manner online
with coodinated printed items ready for use December 1.  Each year on
December 1 update the three lead images' collection for each of the three
missions?  The Congressional Gold Medal can be a start to build the imagery
for this year.

Alice

Alice Mansell, LtCol, CAP
Former CAWG PA

On Monday, June 30, 2014, Karen Copenhaver <karenc at smyth.net> wrote:
> Yes indeed.... I do agree,  the slogan does interpret and represents the
brand promise... so it becomes part of the marketing strategy. Setting
basic fundamentals of the branding effort includes a "promise", and
developing strategies for marketing and public relations initiatives, which
includes educating all those involved of the primary focus.  We have spoken
of some of the tools used to "represent", but "marketing" is selling.....
"public relations" is image and relationships.  I agree Mike....!

> Karen~
>

> On 6/30/2014 1:33 PM, Michael Marek wrote:
>>
>> Slogans are not brand promises.  Slogans interpret and represent the
brand promise, but they are not the promise itself.

>> The promise is largely an internal statement that begins "Civil Air
Patrol promised that......" and says something that the public will
consider to be important, believable and distinctive.

>> Then the marketing and public relations people present and explain the
brand promise to our external audiences using decentralized messages
reaching the public from many directions.