[PAO] National Board

Blake Sasse bsasse at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 19 11:19:10 CDT 2014

I attend state, regional, and national scientific meetings on a regular
basis and having hosted several, these prices don't seem terribly out of
line for a conference with 500+ people (I'm assuming that is what our
attendance is).  If you're looking for a site that has lodging and
conference facilities available for a group of that size in a city with
commercial air service its unlikely to be found for less than $100 a
night.  You can usually save significantly on your lodging costs by
staying at a cheap hotel and driving to the conference hotel (assuming
parking is available and not too expensive).

The registration fees do seem a little higher than I would hope, but
costs for renting conference rooms and related expenses (food/beverages
for breaks, projection equipment, etc) are probably not going to be much
less than $150 for a larger conference these days.

I do agree that the smaller metropolitan areas are where you should be
looking for our venues.