[PAO] New CAPP 201 - Public Affairs Officer Specialty Track

jaimielhenson at fuse.net jaimielhenson at fuse.net
Sat Aug 9 21:35:28 CDT 2014

I have real problems requiring PAOs to become PIOs. The positions are very different and require very different skill sets.

One can be an effective, even an outstanding PAO, "behind the scenes". That is, writing news and community interest stories, posting/sending photographs, maintaining facebook pages, twitter accounts, websites, etc. It is a non-stress, non-time limit position. It does not necessarily require one to be attractive or well-spoken or to look good in the uniform.

PIO requires all of those things and then some.

IF PIO is going to be required, the training needs to be taken seriously. I had the honor of being in the first NESA PIO class several years ago. There was a member of the class who had absolutely no business ever dealing with the public or press. This member was an complete embarrassment to the uniform and CAP. The member was awarded PIO credentials just because the course was completed. There was no provision for "failing" someone who clearly wasn't qualified.

Anything can be put on a piece of paper. If CAP PAOs and PIOs want to be seen and treated as professional equals in the "real" world, then we have to be trained and held accountable to the same level.

Not all PAOs can or should be qualified as PIOs. To force this upon someone is either going to reduce the number of personnel willing to train beyond the Technician Rating or is going to end with many unqualified PIOs in the field simply because they completed a course. Neither of those scenarios is a positive outcome for CAP Public Relations.

Jaimie Henson, Maj.
Public Affairs Officer
Public Information Officer
Kentucky Wing