[PAO] New CAPP 201 - Public Affairs Officer Specialty Track

Jeff Carlson, Grp 5 HQ jcarlson at flwg.us
Sat Aug 9 14:52:28 CDT 2014

Red Cross uses a skill-level rating; Associate, Supervisor, Manager.  Additional training and additional field experience is required to move up. Field promotions can become common during a long response effort in order to keep positions filled.

In my opinion, PIO duties are a slice of the overall CAP Public Affairs program and a Master-rated member should have a working understanding of all parts of the CAP PA program.

I don’t think we should set the bar low so that everyone can rise to the top. I returned to school as an adult to earned my BA (’03) and MBA (’06) and found that “grade inflation” is a problem for schools.  The goal should be a successful PA program, not an individual’s rating. Maybe the wrong incentive is being employed for CAP personnel in this matter.

I think we would all be surprised to know how many CAP PAOs do not have a specialty track rating. While I encourage all PAOs in my group to become PIOs…I would consider it a successful program if they were all P201 tech-rated and completed annual training. Are the majority of CAP PAOs adequately engaged in their duty position?

CAP can benefit by embracing higher standards, we need to make certain personnel have access to the resources necessary to meet the standards that are set.

Jeff