[PAO] 2013 FLWG PA Academy

Jeff Carlson, Group 5 FLWG jcarlson at flwg.us
Fri Sep 13 16:53:20 CDT 2013

Both Facebook and Twitter were incorporated into the academy's exercises.
Each team was required to post content to the academy Facebook page and
compose a Tweet that included the academy hash tag.  This was a great
learning opportunity.  For some members, it was their first time using
Dropbox, Twitter and even Facebook.

The academy Facebook page was created specifically to be used for the
training exercises.  I first considered a Facebook group and opted instead
for a unique page rather than using the main FLWG Facebook site.  This gives
the option of closing the page after the academy.  We created a unique web
site that was used during the exercises to create web pages for the same
reason.

It was special to see members using social media and making web pages for
the first time; it peeled away the mystery and they could recognized the
potential.  It's one thing to make a list on a PowerPoint slide, it is yet
another to create an opportunity for practical experience in a guided
learning environment.  Talk about empowerment!

The participants learned about utilizing multiple communication channels
(including CAP radio nets) to gain better control over delivering the
message and even target a specific audience.  The goal was to get content
creators to see beyond writing a single release and then hoping to get it
published by traditional media.  Instead we focused on identifying the
target audience and selecting an appropriate communication channel prior to
writing the release and then developing the message based on the interests
of the selected audience.  We discussed content marketing, developing
special use web pages and then using Twitter and Facebook to bring the
audience back to the unit web site.

I know every mama crow thinks her baby is the blackest. But this was an
effective training event because we minimized the passive learning from
PowerPoint slides and maximized the active hands-on experience which help
put the key points in real-world context and achieve authentic learning. The
workgroups allowed more experienced members to mentor their teammates.
Based on the feedback I have received from participants, this was a highly
successful training event!

JEFFREY CARLSON, Major, CAP

Director

2013 Public Affairs Academy