[PAO] September Disaster Preparedness Month

Karen Copenhaver karenc at smyth.net
Sun Sep 8 07:43:53 CDT 2013

Good morning Tom,

I understand how this might work, however, there are PAOs who do not
wish to, or may not have the time to serve as a PIO, so why "require"
him/her to do so?  We do not "require" any other position to do so as
part of their training  (ref Mike Marek's response).    One can be an
effective PAO even if not serving as PIO.   If we look at our entire CAP
make up..... we wear two hats, one is administrative, one ES.  I grouped
administrative into our day-to-day missions and initiatives because of
our missions in cadet programs and our aerospace education as well as
our support of our community involvement, and recruiting.

One should not be "forced" to qualify as a PIO if one does not desire to
do so.  However, if one desires to serve as a PIO, then the background
knowledge and experience gained as a PAO will definitely enhance the
ability to serve in that capacity.   I whole heartely agree with Alice
in that we should nurture our relationships with other organizations,
which I too have been pushing for years.  Partnering with our fellow ES
responders in training and in actual missions will make for a better
team effort from all those who work in emergency services.  Thanks to
Alice, we also should review how current all our MOUs are, and
obtain/download/print copies.

On a training note, when I first joined CAP as a PAO, I made it a point
to learn about all other positions in the squadron..... and in the ES
role, especially during "training" missions. During those training
missions, I physically visited each section, observed their duties and
asked questions and took lots of notes.   That initiative provided a
real perspective of what they did so I could share with the public with
a better understanding and confidence.  As I mentor others, this is one
of my first suggestions and encouragement as it  is very important to
speak with knowledge.

Karen