[PAO] CAP and disaster relief.

kd4ios at embarqmail.com kd4ios at embarqmail.com
Sat Sep 7 12:45:23 CDT 2013

I hold the EOC seat for Military Support to Civilian Authority and have done so for multiple years, being an active participant  during hurricanes, disaster drills and even ran the Logistics Staging Area when FL had back to back hurricanes.  This came from contacts just as you are describing.

CAP got plaudits from the truckers who transport food, water and ice.  One driver said, "Your operation is one of the smoothest and most professionally run I have ever seen, and I've been doing this for a long time.   I think he said 40 years, but I can't be sure of the time length.

We used ICS forms and contacted the Emergency Manager (EM) for the county on a regular basis.  By the end of the day, all the bills of lading, conversations with the EM and other support staff were not only logged, but printed out and delivered to the EM within 30 minutes of the operation shut down.   They had hard copies printed out showing what went where, who took it, and when it was deployed.  At one time we had 150 Tractor Trailer Rigs on the yard of a former citrus plant.

It worked exceedingly well.  The biggest amount of fun I got was having National Guard Officers drop in to tell me that they were former CAP Cadets and were pleased to see the professionalism and involvement of my support staff.

The funniest thing I can recall was one cadet who wore glasses  was given a safety briefing concerning forklifts, and the routes they would take into and out of a huge freezer.

As he came out of the freezer, his glasses fogged over so I added an additional warning about fog appearing out of nowhere during the day.  He looked at me with a serious expression, until I told him to wipe the condensation off of his glasses, then he enjoyed the laugh that the other cadets were giving him.

You can't work too closely with sister agencies.   Our people MUST be consummate professionals and provide more effort than anyone else in order to be respected for the job that volunteer professionals can do for the other organizations. They will put you in all sorts of positions once they know they can trust you to do things the right way

Keep up the good work!

David M. Moseley, Lt. Colonel, CAP
ESF 13 Chair for the Lake County FL
EOC