[PAO] CAP and disaster relief.

Alice Mansell alice at mansell.com
Fri Sep 6 17:49:32 CDT 2013

How about back to Tom's orginal question?

At my local sq at Palo Alto, California, we are having an all-hands
participation in our local airport open house Sept 29. We park our plane
and recruiting booth smack between the local pilot/airport association
 host of the day's events and our city's fire and police force.  We do
static line patrol and provide a cadet color guard for an opening ceremony.
 Often the local Red Cross and USCGAux comes thanks to many, many invites
to them from CAP over the years and when they show up, we set up very close
to them.  We make a lot of useful swapped-biz-card contacts.  For example,
a few years ago our city police battle wagon programmed in key radio
contact freqs with CAP.

We also participate on a n annual ground SAR exercise with out local county
sheriff SAR team woch are always actove in local disasters.

So.... last year when the city battle wagon was dipatched to help with
Occupy Oakland, CAP radio freqs were primed and ready to go if needed by
local cops whpw first hand our capabilities and call-out procedures.
 Sometimes the best training and relationship building is done at community
events like airport open houses and Red Cross disaster preparedness events.

Cheers to all,
Alice

>>September is national Disaster Preparedness Month.  I was just curious
about

>>How many PAO’s are writing articles about how their wings are/have been
training to address local disaster response.